Png glitch art tools
creation year: 2020
A list of the tools created for making glitch art. If you are interested in the development process of those tools you can read the Glitched factory log.
- Glitched factory: the easiest way to glitch png images, you just have to download the software for your OS (Linux, OSX or Windows) and use the gui to mess with your images.
- (legacy) Glitched factory: you probably don't want to use this software, use the one above instead. I keep it on this website for archival and reference purposes.
Libraries used by the two softwares above, you can use them from a Rust or Ruby code base.
Those libraries may be used to create glitched images directly in Rust.
- Pnglitcher: implement all the png glitch algorithms (it's messing on purpose with the PNG file format).
- Arko: implement some pixel manipulation algorithms (think pixel sorting). JPEG is supported by this library alongside PNG.
These libraries may be used to create glitched images directly in Ruby.
- Rusty engine: this is a wrapper for Arko, so it provides the exact same features but can be called from a Ruby codebase.
- Shattered machine: this library is bundle rusty engine and pnglitch, it was the main library used in the legacy version of the glitched factory but it's still working fine.